Remove Ads

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Photoshop Alternatives
Want to make graphics that look like the pro's, but don't have a copy of Photoshop? Never fear, for there are several alternatives that have almost the same functionality!

1. GIMP - GIMP stands for GNU image manipulation project and was started back in 1995. Gimp is a valid competitor to all of the commercial bitmap drawing programs on the market. Among its features you find: powerful painting tools, layers and channels support, multiple undo/redo, editable text layers. Gimp as a plug-in architecture and a scripting engine that allow easy extension of it's functionality. More than a 100 plug-ins and scripts are already available. Also Gimp imports files from Photoshop (psd) and can also read scalable vector graphics (svg) files.

2. GIMPshop - If you want to get used to the Photoshop layout (you intend to get Photoshop later or something), this program is for you. It is a back built off of the original GIMP that has all the menus, dialogs, etc., to look as close to their Photoshop counterparts as possible. Note that it does not contain all the features of Photoshop as it is built on top of GIMP.

3. Krita - Krita is open source bitmap editing and drawing with the following advanced features: 16-bit image support, High dynamic resolution images, CMYK and even color management. As part of the KOffice suite it added a full features image editing and draw application - including lots of filters for either serious use or just to play around with. Only available to *NIX users.

I will add some more if I find more open-source (free) Photoshop alternatives. If you want me to post links to where you can get these programs, let me know. (You can probably just google them. I can pretty much guarantee that you will find at least one place to download these within the first page.)
Well. It seems I can't get it to work on my 98. The GKT won't open because I don't have WinZip and I did download WinZip but WinZip doesn't work on my 98 either. So my comp pretty much is 'art' less.
dude..why the crap are you still using 98??? get a vista...and yea x.x i think Artic should give us some tips ;o
I'm using a 98 because my regular comp died a few months back. I couldn't use Microsoft Word in months........or play any MMRPGs....
Are those free? Like I know where to get GIMP. But i know Photoshop you get the 30 day free trial but it's expensive for the actual copy.
yes u can get one illegally by using a crack code...when u install it
does anybody know how to fade images???

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Photoshop banner Shikamaru 17 2,862 08-01-2007, 12:22 PM
Last Post: Shikamaru