Remove Ads

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Boa Hancock (9th nakama)
Flawfree Princess Wrote:I hope you do realise that being funny or having funny expressions (something that is entirely subjective) does not exclude one of the terrible acts he has comitted.

Disliking someone because they are boring and uninteresting does not make them any more awful than people who take part in slave trade or become tyrans over a random country they chose because they were born with a God-complex.
I didnt say it didnt. But a well made character can still be evil you know. DD is a well made character. Doesnt mean he is a good guy but he is well made. Enel, while not as much, is also a well made character. Now just to say it, I dont really like Enel or DD. But they are still at least well made and interesting as bad guys.

Boa on the other hand was not a well made character. She was uninteresting, didnt do much, and was annoying. Her level of annoyance is equal to Spandam honestly.
Well I don't understand what you mean by well made. She was as well made as she could have been. We understand why she's like because we know her past. Not justifying her actions post slavery but Oda provided the necessary background to explain why a cute and innocent 8 year old would turn into a crazy deranged grown woman. I don't think it was badly written.

She saved Luffy from Smoker at the war and also helped his escape and sail in the NW and she also provided him with a place to stay to train and that's far from "doing nothing".
In the short period of time she was shown she has done more than half the female OP cast.

I understand not everyone can relate to a character like that but what really irks me is that it's the same people that will go on and worship more evil characters because they are badass male characters.
Flawfree Princess Wrote:Well I don't understand what you mean by well made. She was as well made as she could have been. We understand why she's like because we know her past. Not justifying her actions post slavery but Oda provided the necessary background to explain why a cute and innocent 8 year old would turn into a crazy deranged grown woman. I don't think it was badly written.
I guess we just disagree. I would think someone who went through that would know not to treat others in the same way.

Quote:She saved Luffy from Smoker at the war and also helped his escape and sail in the NW and she also provided him with a place to stay to train and that's far from "doing nothing".
In the short period of time she was shown she has done more than half the female OP cast.
Um...no. Saving him once doesnt really overlap the bond between luffy, nami and robin. She did all she did just for someone she loved, which is actually pretty creepy because of the huge age gap, he was still underage when she fell for him and shes older then Robin is. Kinda gross imo.

Quote:I understand not everyone can relate to a character like that but what really irks me is that it's the same people that will go on and worship more evil characters because they are badass male characters.
Its not about relating, its about the character itself. She was boring. It has nothing to do with gender. At all.

And my favorite character (ever, in any manga) is Usopp. So yeah, dont pin me as a Zoro worshiper. Because I am not.
Kurapika Wrote:Um...no. Saving him once doesnt really overlap the bond between luffy, nami and robin. She did all she did just for someone she loved, which is actually pretty creepy because of the huge age gap, he was still underage when she fell for him and shes older then Robin is. Kinda gross imo.

This point is strange to me. Because the age of consent in Japan is 14, no? So would that be the standard for assumption in a Japanese based series? Or are we going by moral standards, in which case the human brain isn't fully developed until 25? I'm just trying to understand your standard for judgment.
Flawfree Princess Wrote:tyrans over a random country they chose because they were born with a God-complex.

So basically what Hancock does?
Petite Fleur Wrote:This point is strange to me. Because the age of consent in Japan is 14, no? So would that be the standard for assumption in a Japanese based series? Or are we going by moral standards, in which case the human brain isn't fully developed until 25? I'm just trying to understand your standard for judgment.
14? Wow thats messed up...didnt know that. Its just that 12 years difference when one is still a child is wrong to me. Not that luffy ever cared for her that way but still.
Kurapika Wrote:I guess we just disagree. I would think someone who went through that would know not to treat others in the same way.

Actually studies have shown that people who have been victims of abuse often become the abuser. This could be a classic example, children who are born under an abusive household are more likely to become abusive in their own relationships considering that is the only behaviour they witnessed and that behaviour grants the abuser the authority, something Boa obviously craves.
It's naive to think that people would treat others better because they have been treated badly.

Quote:Um...no. Saving him once doesnt really overlap the bond between luffy, nami and robin. She did all she did just for someone she loved, which is actually pretty creepy because of the huge age gap, he was still underage when she fell for him and shes older then Robin is. Kinda gross imo.

Ok I have no idea why you brought up Nami and Robin and their bond with Luffy since I didn't mention it at all in my post? *confused*

Yes it's creeepy, but again Hancock is stuck in a childish phase (the tantrums she throws etc) all that just show that she never truly grew up and once again that is actually a common trait of victims of trauma, the ability to block their traumatic experience out of their system in that way she is still the 8 year old she was when she was kidnapped. It's a very unhealthy way to deal with trauma but it's actually very common.

Quote:Its not about relating, its about the character itself. She was boring. It has nothing to do with gender. At all.

And my favorite character (ever, in any manga) is Usopp. So yeah, dont pin me as a Zoro worshiper. Because I am not.
Actually it has everything to do with relating. We like certain characters because we can relate to them in one way or another be it character traits, sense of humour, interests or simply style. Most people can not relate to Hancock because they cannot understand the effect of long term trauma on a person, moreso a woman.

And also nowhere did I imply you were some kind of Zoro worshiper. I haven't brought Zoro at least once in my arguments and I would barely considering him "evil". That last paragraph was a general comment not adressed to you in particular o_o
Damanos Wrote:
Flawfree Princess Wrote:tyrans over a random country they chose because they were born with a God-complex.

She was not born with a God-complex though as shown from her flashback when she was 8. Try Eneru.
Kurapika Wrote:14? Wow thats messed up...didnt know that. Its just that 12 years difference when one is still a child is wrong to me. Not that luffy ever cared for her that way but still.

Shouldn't your complaint be with the culture then? Japanese, at least, romanticize everything. In the context of romance. Family members, teacher/student, etc. It's common for them, it's part of the culture that they base a lot of their media upon. (AKB48 has a song that basically glorifies picking up "Uncles" to have sex with, for example)

Quote:I guess we just disagree. I would think someone who went through that would know not to treat others in the same way.

I wanted to address this as well. People learn through gaining perspective, but this is a double edged sword. When you get hit for the first time you learn two things. One, that it hurts, two that it hurts others. In some contexts you hit people because you know it hurts them, in others you refuse to for the same reason.

Learning is basically like this for everything.
Flawfree Princess Wrote:
Damanos Wrote:

She was not born with a God-complex though as shown from her flashback when she was 8. Try Eneru.

She thinks she is perfect and can do no wrong because of her looks. Enel thought he was perfect and could do no wrong because of his power.

So again, not much difference in the end result.

Not to mention, we don't even know when Enel got his complex.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Next nakama (Part 200) Gold Roger 22 4,603 12-15-2012, 01:25 AM
Last Post: Evangelion[lovr]2.0