Remove Ads

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Stem Cell and the Genome project
*Warning, what follows may leave you in a state of ethical confusion, and a realization that there really are some things you can't solve.*

*eyes glinting* So if you chose to continue, then you're probably interested, GREAT!!! Knowledge is power right?

Exactly what is stem cell research? It's basically like this, at an early stage of devellopment, there are differnt regions of the embryo that have receive chemical messages, which makes the cell the type it is (liver cells, muscle cells, nerve cells, etc..), now when the embryo has just a few beggining cells (embryonic stem cells) taht become differnt cells later on. These cells are "isolated" from the embryo to do tests on, and initally grow back unregenerative tissue. That includes nerve celss, which could mean that we'd be able to cure neurological problems, a miracle in other words...Basically we could recreate most tissue, and this could lead (though it's very, very farfetched) to producing organs with a complicated tissue stucture. I should also mention that there exists three stages of stem cells, embryonic stem, embroyinc germ, and adult stem cells. Embryonic germs come a little later than embryonic stem cells, and adults stem cells can be of any age.  The problem with adult stem cells is that it's possibilties are more limited.

Whlie I am at it, I don't I just explain the human genome project as well?
Human genome project is basically a way to read your DNA, or dyoxybonucleric acid (yes, yes that's acid written there), which is everything about you. Now here's the problem what to do if you have a genetic problem? Or what if the parents of a child want to abort because they know it's sick?

And about stem cells...for those that didn't get it, embryos are the first stages of life. In other words, it could be a life...

There are other things, but I am tired right now, and I read medical books, but it's been a while, so if there are any med lovers in the house, please share.

Well, like I said in that other topic, my dad told me some scientists found a way to get stem cells from the tail of rat, so idk, I am fine with that.

draik, stem cells are basically the building blocks right? I kinda remember it from bio and read through your post, but basically they can be turned into any type of cell right?

Yes.... wouldn't it be amazing if they could regrow arms with them?
The big problem people have with stem cell research is basically how to harvest them. They think it is immoral, and 'playing god'. If we start doing this, science loses its ethics and we can experiment on anything.
And, let's face it, they kinda have a point there.
But what you also need to remember is that it is a potential cure for a lot of diseases. You can potentially form healthy cells, maybe organs, from them.
Now i know a lot of people think medical science has already gone too far, and that's the reason why the world is dying. Because people don't anymore.
But i was visiting my mum in the cancer ward earlier today, and we were chatting about her last will and what not. And that's okay because she's almost 50, and has at least seen a part of the world. But the doctors brought in the new patient. A 2 year old little girl. Pancreatic cancer. Deadly.
In this thread anybody can post their own believes, and quote from the bible for all i care. But you better remember that it is not only 60 year old smokers that could be cured. Innocent people get sick too, and all the praying in the world isn't gonna help with that.
Now i never had much morals in my life, and i don't understand most beliefs that are commenly held among 'prestigious' people. But if there are republicans or anti-stem cell people on this forum, could u please explain to me what morals are so important that they can hold back lifesaving research?
geyter Wrote:The big problem people have with stem cell research is basically how to harvest them. They think it is immoral, and 'playing god'. If we start doing this, science loses its ethics and we can experiment on anything.
And, let's face it, they kinda have a point there.
But what you also need to remember is that it is a potential cure for a lot of diseases. You can potentially form healthy cells, maybe organs, from them.
Now i know a lot of people think medical science has already gone too far, and that's the reason why the world is dying. Because people don't anymore.
But i was visiting my mum in the cancer ward earlier today, and we were chatting about her last will and what not. And that's okay because she's almost 50, and has at least seen a part of the world. But the doctors brought in the new patient. A 2 year old little girl. Pancreatic cancer. Deadly.
In this thread anybody can post their own believes, and quote from the bible for all i care. But you better remember that it is not only 60 year old smokers that could be cured. Innocent people get sick too, and all the praying in the world isn't gonna help with that.
Now i never had much morals in my life, and i don't understand most beliefs that are commenly held among 'prestigious' people. But if there are republicans or anti-stem cell people on this forum, could u please explain to me what morals are so important that they can hold back lifesaving research?

Thank god you're back. But you have it down. The thing is that, that embryo could grow up to replace that little girl. It's basically a potential life for an arm, and in the future, a precious life.

I agree with you there geyter. Damn my Catholic backgrounds that forbid me to go to your side. i am in the gray area, that's why I said the rat tail development should get rid of that.

Also, I don't get the moral thing around getting the stem cells from the umbilical cord. I mean there is no fetus there and they get the stem cells after the baby is born so basically what's the problem?

Also, hey man, I am sorry for your mom. I had my Grandfather die from cancer too.
I don't know much on the matter of cloning, but can they duplicate the cells using the cloning technique? Figure out how to do that, and all problems are solved.
Those are just the problem. They can't use the umbillical cord because that is usage of live materials from children, which is outlawed by US. And human cloning, also outlawed.
Then let them do the experiment in Canada.
CrazyBleachFan Wrote:I agree with you there geyter. Damn my Catholic backgrounds that forbid me to go to your side. i am in the gray area, that's why I said the rat tail development should get rid of that.

Also, I don't get the moral thing around getting the stem cells from the umbilical cord. I mean there is no fetus there and they get the stem cells after the baby is born so basically what's the problem?

Also, hey man, I am sorry for your mom. I had my Grandfather die from cancer too.

If it was just the umbilical cord it would be okay...unfortunatly (unless i horribly misunderstood) the embryon that the embryonic stem cells come from can't become a life anymore. It's like a the dough for a pizza, you take a huge chunk away, and it's just not the same. And that would seriously screw things up. Where the hell is rewer? He's a med student right?

But yea, this and abortion pretty much go hand in hand.