Remove Ads

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Actions have consequences
what happens if OMF comes back online? Do we switch back then or have we then 3 OneManga pages online?
And I guess we have to start from zero again at the new forum huh?
What happens to the Banner contest that was supposed to take place and the forum battles and all that.
It's good to hear that there's still going to be an OMF. Been a member for about 3 years and it's pretty much become my internet home base.

There's a lot of questions I have about this, but I'll stick with one for now. Will there be any content transferring(Threads)? I'm assuming that that's solely dependent on if the forums come back up again, but I thought I'd ask anyway.
Man if I wasn't in my sr year of college and working 2 jobs I'd totally help with as much of building the new site as I could.
Scorpion2k4u Wrote:what happens if OMF comes back online? Do we switch back then or have we then 3 OneManga pages online?
What happens to the Banner contest that was supposed to take place and the forum battles and all that.

We are definitely still considering forum.onemanga the main site for now - if it's back up say, in a day or two, or maybe even a week, we'll almost certainly move back there at least long enough to bring announcements up about the new forum, and try and get the userbase moved over. (possibly longer - depending on stability)

If it's not up for months, well, we're not really sure either. It's a pity this had to happen now, when in a month or two, we'd have been well prepared, but I suppose it beats it happening a month or two before now, so there's that.

If we never get back on forum.onemanga, all contests will need to be restarted from the top. If we can get access sometime soon, we'll probably extend them through to cover this period plus some extra.
same here
thanks for the thoughts, evan

wingman32x Wrote:It's good to hear that there's still going to be an OMF. Been a member for about 3 years and it's pretty much become my internet home base.

There's a lot of questions I have about this, but I'll stick with one for now. Will there be any content transferring(Threads)? I'm assuming that that's solely dependent on if the forums come back up again, but I thought I'd ask anyway.
It is good! I don't think we'd have it any other way.

With no server access, we can't transfer the database, so we can't transfer threads over wholesale, regardless of whether forum.onemanga comes back up. All we can hope to do is create a series of new threads to approximate the old ones. Maybe Greg has a plan for how we'll go about doing this - I do not.
evilcheeser Wrote:
Scorpion2k4u Wrote:what happens if OMF comes back online? Do we switch back then or have we then 3 OneManga pages online?

We are definitely still considering forum.onemanga the main site for now - if it's back up say, in a day or two, or maybe even a week, we'll almost certainly move back there at least long enough to bring announcements up about the new forum, and try and get the userbase moved over. (possibly longer - depending on stability)

If it's not up for months, well, we're not really sure either. It's a pity this had to happen now, when in a month or two, we'd have been well prepared, but I suppose it beats it happening a month or two before now, so there's that.

If we never get back on forum.onemanga, all contests will need to be restarted from the top. If we can get access sometime soon, we'll probably extend them through to cover this period plus some extra.

I see, thanks. Thatmakes things more clear.
You say in a month or two you would have been prepared... Does that mean that you considered making a new forum for a while now?
Scorpion2k4u Wrote:I see, thanks. Thatmakes things more clear.
You say in a month or two you would have been prepared... Does that mean that you considered making a new forum for a while now?

yes. There was a thread on forum.onemanga where Greg talked about it a bit, just after the ~1/2 day of downtime we had about a week ago. It's something we've been thinking about, between the instability, and the fact that zabi's been impossible to contact for ages, but we really wanted to try and make the move with both forums up at once.
The best course of action is to plan for the new forum, If the main forum comes back alive, advertise the hell out of the new one.

Meanwhile the best we can do is to hope that people keep looking at the OMF twitter.
So it's basically a survival war now, eh?

I hope the problem gets fixed soon. I had joined only a few months ago but it was like Facebook for me, the first thing I opened everyday.

Informing the users of the transfer would be the greatest problem.
Twitter or through Google's cached page. Those are the only two ways of knowing about this right? Well that twitter account was hardly known and Google's cached pages with their recent UI improvements are hardly accessible if you don't know where they are.

Just makes me realise how flimsy all of our friendships are over the Internet. It's like 21 Dec came three weeks earlier.